How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My car whilst parked up last night got ploughed into by another

This answer was rated:

My car whilst parked up last night got ploughed into by another car writing it off.
i'm insured 3rd party and have MOT, the other driver was obviously at fault and insured.
I didnt realise my tax ran out in July, so have been told my claim is invalid.
I renewed my tax today and have cover from sept 1st, so the car is covered now.
is there anything that can be done? i thought having insurance should cover me?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Who is saying your claim is invalid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The company who said they couldn't help is called Easidrive.

They are an accident management company that my insurance company put me through to, to process claim.

after thay initially told me my tax was out, I renewed my tax and called my insurance company back, who in turn got in touch with them and they said they still couldn't help!

Does your policy say it is invalid if the car is not taxed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure? I have to check the policy

Yes. If it does not say in the policy they can void it for not having insurance then they can not. Even with this accident its not your fault, I can't see how they can reasonably refuse to pay up.
If they still refuse you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman. They regulate insurance companies and can force them to pay up. They offer a free, independent service at:
But I would be amazed if they can void it for this. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

your first line of reply doesn't make sense?

you mean tax right?

I mean unless the policy says they can void the insurance for not having tax, then they can't.
Its not as if you have failed to declare something, ie a drink driving conviction.
Does that help?

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.