How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I provided the food at a wedding people. The price

This answer was rated:

I provided the food at a wedding for 300 people. The price was agreed beforehand-£15 per head. The customer left discreetly without paying and only paid £1500 when I contacted her. She said her reason for this was because the service wasn't satisfactory. I pointed out to her that the items she complained about were to do with other agencies and nothing to do with my company e.g chocolate fountain and the wine. I believe she had little intention of paying the full amount from the start. There is no written contract only e-mails (the customer refused to acknowledge text. How do I obtain my money from this lady?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How much is the difference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have her address? Don't give it to me but do you have it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don t have the address.
That is a problem.
Do you have any means of getting it? Will the other agencies give it to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The other agencies are independent and we have no communication with them
Your only options then are either to write the money off or to try to find her using a tracing agent. You will need some information upon her but if you engaged in a contract with her then probably you do have that.
Then sue her here
It is a small claims court sum so it will be cheap and quick enough to issue.
I would suggest a letter before action before you do issue though to protect yourself from costs but you will need her address to do that as well.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is all
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For Jomo 1972
I have some more information which could be useful for my claim. I have the address of the customer's mother and the work place address of the customer. Judging by the significant change in the customers attitude in her e-mails and texts after the wedding, the refusal to pay was premeditated which I believe amounts to fraud.
You can't use her mother's address but you can issue upon her at work.
I cannot agree it amounts to fraud. It is just a contractual dispute.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the procedure when claiming through the small courts?
You can issue here
although I would send a letter before action to her work address though. Apart from anything else it will be embarrassing for her. It will also protect you from costs. The embarrassment can't be helped because she is currently refusing to give you her home address and that is what happens when people try to be too clever by half.