How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10956
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am sponsoring my fiances visa application but am a contractor

Customer Question

I am sponsoring my fiances visa application but am a contractor working through my Ltd company. I have been told to provide 1 of the following:-
One of the following documents must also be provided:
A certificate of VAT registration and the VAT return for the last full
financial year (a copy or printout) confirming the VAT registration number,
if turnover is in excess of £79,000 or was in excess of the threshold which
applied during the last full financial year.
(2) Proof of ownership or lease of business premises.
(3) Original proof of registration with HMRC as an employer for the
purposes of PAYE and National Insurance, proof of PAYE reference
number and Accounts Office reference number. This evidence may be in
the form of a certified copy of the documentation issued by HMRC
I did not earn the £79K threshold last financial year but I am VAT registered & still charge & pay VAT as you can't opt out of it annually.
I don't have business premises
The original proof of registration is not a legal requirement for a business to hold & will take a while to get from HMRC.
So can I submit the VAT Registration and my VAT return in place of it as my last financial year is an anomaly, I normally earn substantially more than the £79k.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. There is no difficulty with you submitting your VAT return and VAT figures for last year, even though they did not exceed the VAT threshhold of £79k. What the immigration authorities want to see is that you are fully tax compliant and paying VAT, not whether you exceeded the threshold or not. So long as you are VAT registered then that is OK.