How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Alex, On reflection on my last enquiry, as to who

Customer Question

Hello Alex,
On reflection on my last enquiry, as to who I should take to court for the loss of my son,
I have been thinking back to the lead-up to our return to the UK. My son went into hospital in France, initially voluntarily, but they asked me to have him sectioned as he was leaving the Hospital and making it difficult for them to treat him.
As he wasn't making any progress, in fact getting worse, refusing to co-operate, (because he didn't want to be there and had a language problem), we appealed to the British Embassy to have him brought back to the UK for treatment. Both the UK and the French governments refused organize or finance it. In desperation I said that if they were able to help his recovery, could I take him myself. The Consultant agreed and tried him on a new medication that should work, "even for the most chronic cases", such as my son's. Because he realized that there was a way to leave there, he started to co-operate and within a short while his condition seemed to improve. Meanwhile, I contacted a hospital in the last area that he'd lived in the UK, but the Bed Manager refused, on the grounds that he no longer lived in the area. His previous doctor in the UK said that I must take him there and find accommodation, before he could register with a new doctor. We went to Eastbourne, initially, but we were told at the Drop-in Clinic, that he needed to be longer at the Hostel to "become officially registered". We were also told by the Housing Needs Department that they would probably, within six weeks, transfer him to Kensington & Chelsea, London, where he had lived for most of his life. As I was refused temporary housing with my son and was obliged to find B&B hotels to stay in, paying with my already, excessively overdrawn, credit card I decided to take him to K&C myself - this was on the third week. As I have outlined in my previous conversations with you, we were met with the same barriers - their refusal to house us temporarily together, so that I could give my son the same one-to-one, full time care that he desperately needed. Hence, he was sent to a Hostel that didn't meet these needs and my son was let out at night to wander the streets at night, without his much-needed medication and without the close monitoring that they had advised he should have.
My dilemma is, should I blame the British Government, as my son was a British National
and born in Britain, or should I take the local Housing Needs departments to trial.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for asking for me.
I don't think i is the Government to blame, it would appear to be the Housing Needs Department.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Alex
It is now just over two years since my son's death, is there a time limit on thes cases and which category would come into



Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You have 3 years to bring a claim under the Limitation Act 1980. It may come under negligence.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, thanks, Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.