How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I divorced in 2008. At that time he was earning

This answer was rated:

My husband and I divorced in 2008. At that time he was earning £32,000 net, working as sole director of an architectural practice ( limited company)
I have recently applied to the child maintenance service to review his payments for his daughter
I have been advised that he is now earning £150.74 per week gross and I have been advised that maintenance payments have been set at £50.40 per week
I £150.74 per week he is running a 5 bedroom house, 3 cars and takes several luxury holidays each year including a trip for 4 to Florida and New York! Clearly there is income from another source that he has not declared. If it is in the form of dividends, which I suspect it is, is it legal to pay these to himself to avoid tax? And therefore it does not get accounted for in his gross taxable income ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help
It is almost certainly dividends and all you need to do is to ask the cSA to complete a re-assessment taking into account dividends received
I have no idea why they do not do first time around - but they don't!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you