How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

On 2 March 2015, the tenants renting a property we own in Woodford

This answer was rated:

On 2 March 2015, the tenants renting a property we own in Woodford Green, Essex moved out (as agreed). My partner and I then then started transferring our possessions into the property in readiness to move in there ourselves, however, at around 07:00 on 15 April 2015, Hertfordshire Police raided the property looking for someone we since believe was connected with the previous tenants, based on a search warrant issued by a magistrate on 11 March 2015 (i.e. 9 days AFTER the tenants had vacated the property, but before we had moved in there ourselves) - fortunately a neighbour of ours spotted the police raid and was able to call me so that I could confirm that the previous tenants had moved out before the police had a chance to start confiscating our possessions. In entering the property, the police damaged both our front door and the associated frame beyond reasonable repair. Consequently, I wrote to the Chief Constable of Hertfordshire Police on 11 May 2015 requesting that they compensate me for the damage to my property and bringing to his attention to the fact that his police force had acted without making proper checks on who occupied/owned the property before seeking a warrant. Since then, I have exchanged correspondence with Beds/Herts Police Force Legal Services, including responding to requests from them to provide independent quotations to get the damaged door/frame replaced, but I have today received a letter from them stating "The collaborated unit at Hertfordshire have fully investigated this incident and have written to you that the warrant issued by the magistrate was lawfully executed and are not responsible for the repair to your property". I believe Herts Police acted negligently and I want to pursue this matter to get compensation for the resulting damage. Please advise how best to do this. Thank you. Chris Nott
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How much is it to get it fixed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two quotes - both around £2,100 to replace the front door and the frame.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thanks for your advice. I will get the front door and frame replaced (about £2,100) and then write to Beds/Herts Police setting out my losses and stating that they have 14 days to refund said losses or I will issue proceedings in the County Court - as you advise.

One point requiring clarification - given that I live in Essex and the defendant will be Herts Police, in which County Court should I lodge the claim?


Chris Nott

You lodge It online and if defended will be transferred to your local court,
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes thanks


Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.