How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had my home services insurer, a UK nation-wide company, attend

Customer Question

I had my home services insurer, a UK nation-wide company, attend to a mains water pipe leak in my home. Against all advice they excavated to locate the leak totally remote from the identified leak location. They first fractured a gas main. they then did the same to a central heating pipe. Gas and more water everywhere! Repair to the central heating system was botched, water continued to leak for more than a month and a second excavation of the concreted floor had to be carried out. This began on May 18 and is not resolved to date. My wife, 79y, and I, 87y, have, as admitted by the company - in their words - suffered upset, stress and inconvenience. living for almost three months in a small section of our living room in chaos, the code accepted by the company as a recognition of contact. We are claiming appropriate compensation. Which Ombudsman should we contact?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear this.
It looks like you have a good case against the insurer for negligence.
The Financial Ombudsman Service deals with complaints against insurers, see here for the complaints process
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am disappointed with the brevity of your answer. I thought that ticking the medium response box would suffice Negligence has been the source of our complaint, although perhaps it has not been so described. Perhaps I should have given you more details. The Insurer/Services Company has admitted faulty workmanship and its consequences on my family. My wife's GP has recorded in her a worsening of a blood pressure condition. The Company has been informed of this. The Company has offered £300, then another £350 in compensation. We have described this as derisory. We calculated that my wife and I had suffered 2600 manhours of permanent,acute stress and sleepless nights over this affair, making the Company's present offer equivalent to about 25p/h, less than a thirtieth of the minimum wage. It is only a minor contribution to offset the costs of our own labour, drying out equipment (a commercial dehumidifier, for example), electricity consumption, family rescues to escape from the chaos in our home involving more than 800 miles in hired cars. This situation started for us on May 18 and is still with us every day.

The stress/medical factor is now the major point of claim on the Company, in our opinion greatly exceeding in compensation the "nuts-and-bolts" offer on the table. Are you able to suggest - off the record - where we might be on the level of compensation?

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
I see the expert has opted out - what else would you like to know? How much are you seeking to claim?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not possible to give a rating when no answer has been given except to request more information. This is now closed.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
I did say I could assist. I asked how much are you seeking to claim?