How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

As a Carer, I agreed to let my ex partner move into my home

Customer Question

As a Carer, I agreed to let my ex partner move into my home with a tenancy agreement, to support him with PTSD. Over past 2 years, he has taken over my life, controlling and dominating everything I do, whilst gradually emptying my accounts. He uses threats,
intimidation and violence regularly psychotic on drugs. I am disabled and rely on my car to get out but he steals it every day so I am housebound. I cannot get him to leave, and although Domestic Violence Unit want to help, he has rights to stay under Tenancy,
which too frightened to give notice on. I want to know any options, I cannot leave my home, but not safe. Police willing to prosecute for theft (£70,000), abuse and assault, but again, too scared. If did take court action, would I be able to get any recompense/
compensation for money stolen/ abuse, as cannot pay mortgage much longer with no savings left & no income. Am now classed as Vulnerable adult after result.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.You refer to a Tenancy Agreement - who actually owns the property and what are the terms of the agreement?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I own the property, and it was done with a 'WHS pack' standard lodger tenancy agreement, with a week notice stated. The problem being living with him for that week when he would be angry and destructive, and not being able to leave myself due to health, and protecting my property & belongings. The police say only way is to charge him & get locked up, but again, when released on bail would be even more dangerous.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that is helpfulHave you spoken to Women's Aid at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but cannot leave house, would be trashed, got 2 pets, disabilty. also would have to pay £100 Week to go into refuge not eligable for finance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you get last message?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delayWhen was the last incidence of direct violence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About a year ago i tried locking him out he but smashed the door down then smashed me. Ive learnt to keep quiet, keep head down and not react so he doesnt flip out. Previous events have given me perforated ear drum, back teeth knocked out, & damaged jaw. He was boxer in the Army so packs a punch! thats why hes got away with doing what wants.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Was that incident a year ago reported to the police?Has no one mentioned a non molestation order?