How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have a contract through an estate agent but they r not

Customer Question

I have a contract through an estate agent but they r not managing the property the landlord is. He let me have the property on a reduced rent on the understanding that certain things didn't work in the property but that I could pay myself to put them right if I so desired. The white goods were also my responsibility which I accepted. Just beginning my second year and the immersion tank has a crack in it and is leaking down the walls and has saturated the carpet in the hallway entrance. I let my landlord know straight away and he said that the property is tired and old and that if I want it repaired I will have to pay for it myself? I was under the impression it was his responsibility? As it stands thou I am living with a leaking immersion tank. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. A tenant such as you has a common law right to carry out repairs to the tenanted property and then deduct the cost of the repairs from the rent payable to the landlord. Here, what you should do, is to get the crack in the tank fixed and then deduct the cost of repairs from the rent you are paying the landlord. This landlord is not upkeeping his property. A property is not habitable if there is water running down the walls from the immersion tank. So, just carry out the repairs and deduct the rent as legally you are protected from eviction in those circumstances, Keep receipts and provide copies to the landlord.