How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I'm having a dispute with my ex husband regarding child

This answer was rated:

Hi, i'm having a dispute with my ex husband regarding child maintenance. He no longer needs to pay for our eldest...he's 19. Our youngest son is 16 and applying to join the army....this process can take up to 4 months. My ex husband believes as our son is not in education maintenance payment is not mandatory and he only needs to pay me a goodwill gesture. Is he correct ? I thought i was still entitled to maintenance and for one child worked out at 15% net monthly pay minus a percentage for the nights my son stays there ? Thank you for your help. Clare Johnson
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity does your ex pay under a Court Order or via the CSA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
He pays under a Court Order
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Clare he pays under a Court Order
What are the actual terms of the order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've found my stamped Consent Order but it doesn't say about maintenance....only the finances regarding the house, savings and pension. I will go through all the old paperwork to see if i can find a seperate form with the child maintenance details. Will that be ok and hopefully, by Monday i'll have the information you need ?
There is no need to look further as it is clear that payment to date has been "voluntary" until now.On that basis it is the CSA rules that will apply.Under this your ex needs to pay child maintenance (at the rate of 12% of his gross income at most) forso long as you are receiving Child Benefit.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you