How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Should I tick I intend to contest juris traction as well as

This answer was rated:

Should I tick I intend to contest juris traction as well as defend claim.
I am 19 and have been estranged from my father for 3 years. My parents got divorced and the family home got sold.
I found that quater of a million got put into my account by electronic transfer I recieved this in my name. I confirmed with the bank and they confirmed that the money had legally been placed there so I began spending it. My father waited 7 days to contact te conveyancing solicitor to find out where his money went.
My mother set up the bank account for me when I was 16 and homeless she made regular payments so that I could live. My bank statements came to the then family home . As I did not have a safe address. My parents were estranged and going throu a messy divorce.Shortly. My father moved out 10 months before the house was sold. Why would he have had my details, why did I he use them. He deals in stocks and shares so is well aware of his details. And why did he wait a week to find out where his money went. He is now trying to claim the spent money back plu interest.
I have rebuilt my life I have just started an assess course. And have a part time job on minimum wage. He is stating this is a misdirected payment. How can it be????
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Didn't you ever wonder why someone would just put £250,000 into your account for no reason?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought maybe my father was attempting to make amends.
Which country is your father based and which country are you based?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
England. My father once said when he disowned me that I had just done my self out of quater of a million.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are many other reasons why. ? Attempting to get money from my mum. Once agai n
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Attempting to make life difficult
Ok then no you should contest jurisdiction. The county court in England and Wales Can hear this matter. It is only if one party lives abroad should you contest jurisdiction.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean should not, do you think I have a case to defend
I think it will be hard. If you are on minimum wage then you should have asked why £250,000 was paid into your account as I assume it was not normal activity.
You could try and argue it was a gift and it would be for your father to show it was not.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not really he should never have had my bank details in the first place. I did not ask for this to happen. It is in no way a misdirected payment. He deliberately put the money there .
I agree you did not. But it is an offence in criminal law to wrongly accept a credit which was not intended for you.
You had £250,000 put into your account and did not question why. You could have put it to one side and made sure it was for you, bearing in mind you were on minimum wage.
I assume Dad is saying its a mistake, if so then sadly you are liable to repay.
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you