How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71137
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

On 1 June 2015 I ordered gymnastic equipment from Ideal

Customer Question

On 1 June 2015 I ordered gymnastic equipment from Ideal World. Off their own back, they delivered it to our daughter in Scarborough (instead of to me, in Oxfordshire). At the time my internet was down. When it was back, I discovered this. 18 June, they acknowledged this occurrence. They said, when I phoned, that they would collect it from our daughter Mon - Friday and deliver it to me. I told them that this was not possible, our daughter & husband work full time. I rang them 23 August and was told by Mr Richard Dzouza that the cost would be refunded and they would collect it? When my credit card bill arrived this week I discovered that no refund had been made, and no arrangements made to collect it from our daughter. Can you please advise me how to proceed, because I am furious & frustrated. Pamela **************

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you willing to sue them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not keen on suing them, is there another way?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No, not that will always succeed.
The reality is that there are really three options. The first is to keep debt collecting by means of harassing them until they pay. The second is to write the money off as a bad debt. The third is to sue.
The first doesn't really seem to be working so far and I imagine they second is unattractive to you.
That only really leaves the option of suing. Before you do sue I would suggest a letter before action giving them fourteen days to pay and warning them of the risk of legal action if they do not. That might achieve the end you want. It does sometimes.
If it fails though then your only option is to sue them.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. At the moment I think I like your suggestion of telling them that I will sue if they don't clear the problem within fourteen days.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Pamela ***************

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile