How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Freedom of Information Act 2000.. I have made a formal written

This answer was rated:

Freedom of Information Act 2000..
I have made a formal written request for information on my mother who was taken into care with her brother in 1920. I have successfully obtain my uncles journey thanks to Birmingham City Council by providing me with the relevant paperwork. IE The homes he went too and his papers when he was in care in Canada As for my mother's information I am stuck with the Coventry City Council Governance department. They have advised me the information about a deceased person I have requested is not valid under the Data Protection Act and my FOI request is not appropriate because under S41 the information could contain sensitive information which I am fully aware off. The information I am looking for is where she stayed, her journey and why she never went to Canada with her brother.
When a child is transferred to another home their paperwork goes with them,hence Coventry have the paperwork to when she left the system in the early 1930s.
Can I ask is my request under the FOI valid and can I appeal for I have heard nothing from the Council and they have had my request for over 40 working days.
Thank you Tony
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
If you have not heard anything or your request has been rejected then you can complain top the Information Commissioner. They can investigate and see whether it was a valid request - they can be contacted at:
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I have not received a reply however I have slipped up on my access request for I have filled the Data Protection form not the FOI.

Do you advise I start again.

Yes as its a different process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have resolved my problem. Will you confirm i have cancelled my unlimited subscription. Thank you

If I could invite you to contact customer services to cancel that, I would be grateful.