How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My partner has been cliaming the 25 single persons discount

This answer was rated:

My partner has been cliaming the 25 single persons discount for council tax for nearly 22 years although i work mainly all over the country snd only bsck st weekends all my mail etc is linked to his address , i have just asked to go on the electorial roll so he has added me on to it , i am afrais once they check my NI number they will find out he has been cliaming this. would he or me be prosecuted or should we own up the council to say we made a mistake and repay them whats owed ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
They can search and find out yet. Councils regularly do check single person discounts and records to see if there is a link. The law allows them to do this without notice.
The person making the application for the 25% discount would be prosecuted. You can say from 1st October 2015 someone else is moving in and therefore the discount wont apply any more, that is fine.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would he be asked to pay the the monies back to the council first or would the prosecute straight away ? he as added me to the council tak two weeks ago but worried they will ask me for another address before this one and it would be the same .

Its a matter for them. But if they dont know I would just declare it now and say he has either just moved in or will be moving in, during the next week. Once you are on the system as full council tax they are unlikely to investigate unless they get a tip off.
If you have already been added then that should be ok.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes he added me two weeks ago , would the NI Number check say ive lived there longer or is it just to verify my identity ,? he does have a house in spain i could say ive being living there before moving here and only come over to work . only my corpreation tax and bank account details are linked to this address .

That is probably just to verify identity. As I said unless they get a tip off they are unlikely to see how long you have been there.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Thank you one last thing it does say on the application form have you moved in the last 12 months if i reply no to this wont they be able to check that i have been there a year before my partner added me . ? or should i give the spanish address as lived before and tick not registered as a uk voter .

i so dont want him to get a custodial sentance he such a good lovely man im worried sick ...

I can't tell you to lie of course so it is a matter for you about what you put. But if you put Spain then they wont be able to check over there.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.