How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have just applied passport renewal. However with hindsight

This answer was rated:

I have just applied for a passport renewal. However with hindsight I am worried about something. I was adopted as a baby in 1951 and my parents who passed away long ago entered my place of birth as London where there got me. Recently I have looked into my adoption records and discovered that I was actually born in Surrey which wasn't too far from London. I think my parents didn't want me to know where I'd been born as a relative had been behind my adoption I'm sure, and I'd have been suspicious and asked questions. It does worry me though that the information isn't accurate, although it's not my fault. I've always taken the details in my passport for granted so it never occurred to me.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What should I do about this ? Let sleeping dogs lie? or take some action? it seems ridiculous after all these years since the details show that I was born in the UK. I have already sent my application for passport renewal, as the matter hadn't registered with me at the time.

It isn't going to make much difference either way. The important point is that you were born in the UK.
My own view would be that it is better to disclose than not. Apart from anything else, if you do disclose you can stop worrying about it.
They will almost certainly just amend their records and that will be an end to the matter.
If you do nothing then probably nothing will come of it. This is an honest mistake that has no particular importance.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Shall I write to the office where the passport has been sent? I have been so scared that I might be had up for perjury! Or shall I wait for the new passport to be returned first?

This isn't perjury. Perjury involves a material misrepresentation and this isn't material and also you have to know about it.
I would write to them now. You can also call the passport office. Just set out an explanation.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you