How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My neighbours are renting private they have been served an

Customer Question

My neighbours are renting private they have been served an asbo for loud music we have had abuse from them we have complained to the landlord but he does nothing it is the landlord I want to make complaints about can u help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why don't you report breaches to the council?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have spoken to the council but they wouldn't help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I asked them was where do I make a complaint about a landlord
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You don't make a complaint about the landlord to the council. You make a complaint about the breaches of the ASBO caused by the tenant. They can act upon breaches of the ASBO.
There isn't an organisation for complaining about landlords. In principle you could sue him in private nuisance on the basis that he has allowed his tenants to behave in a nuisancing manner but I wouldn't suggest it. That would be expensive and has no guarantees of success.
A better option is to complain about the council's failure to act. That is free to do and they should be acting upon breaches of their own ASBO.
Can I clarify anything for you ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has nothing to do with the music now all quiet he is allowing his tennants to annoy us and does nothing
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
If the tenant isn't acting in breach then there is no basis for anybody to do anything at all.
I'm afraid you don't have a right not to be annoyed. Neighbours are annoying sometimes. We all have to ignore them.
You have a right not to be the subject of nuisance but that is a different issue.