How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am divorced from my husband and we have agreed financial

This answer was rated:

I am divorced from my husband and we have agreed financial matters and arrangements for our two children. However, I am considering a move to London from Nailsea, near Bristol where we both currently live. This is because I have a partner that I have been with for 18 months and we would like to take our relationship a step further. I suffer from depression and sometimes find coping with 2 boys aged 5 and 4 a struggle on my own and will greatly value his support on a daily basis. I also have some debts that need to be paid off and I will be in a position to do so when we live together. My Mum who lives close by at the moment is moving to France and my next closest family member lives in Kent so will also be closer.
Obviously, this does mean our arrangement for the boys to stay with their Dad will need to. Change if we move away. He will no longer be able to collect them from school one night midweek, but I have thought carefully and have said that I will meet him halfway with them every other weekend and one weekend a month I will take them all the way to his. I have also said that he can have them for longer during the holidays and we will Skype or call during the week.
What I want to know is 'Am I within my rights and legally entitled to move as long as I am making suitable arrangements for. The. Boys to see him? They have a good relationship and I want this to continue.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youWhat has your ex said to this?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I discussed it with him, he was very angry and unkind to me, He wasn't too happy about it.
what is the actual current pattern of Contact and how long has your partner worked in London?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has them one night in the week and then every other weekend, and In the school holidays, I have them mostly and he has them for a bit extra than normal. We just agree this as and when.
My partner has lived in London for 7 years.
You are entitled to move - and unless your ex applies to the Court for a prohibited Steps Order you can take the children with you.If he does apply for such an Order it will be up to the Court to decide whether or not the Children can move so far away - and if so what arrangementsshould be made for Children to see their father.As I understand it you are offering alternate weekend contact plus extra time in the school holidaysOne weekend you will undertake all the travel, the other you will n=meet him half way.This is a reasonable offer.You shoudl tray and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation.If he refuses then send a dated letter recorded delivery (so that you van prove he has seen it) setting out your plans.This means that if he waits until the last moment to apply to the court to stop you then you can show that in fact he has had ample time to make the applicationI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you