How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50158
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am disabled off sick from work since january. My employers

This answer was rated:

I am disabled off sick from work since january. My employers are moving to new premises I am told their will be stairs (which is one of the reasons I'm not able to work at the moment) Also I will not be able to park at the front of the building but will have to park around the back with everone else not sure how far away this would be. Please help with what disabilty laws there may be regarding these. Mrs Trudy Jackson
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

worked there 10years. but have had problems for last 3years. This is when i was diagnosed with cerebella/immune ataxia.

If you are disabled then the employer has certain obligations under the Equality Act 2010, the most relevant of which would be a duty to make reasonable adjustments. What amounts to ‘reasonable adjustments’ can have a wide interpretation and often depends on the individual circumstances of the employer, their business, the potential impact on other employees, the available resources, etc. Whilst legislation does not currently provide specific examples of what adjustments can be made, the following are examples that have been considered reasonable in case law over time:
• making adjustments to work premises;
• allocating some of the employee’s duties to others;
• transferring the employee to fill an existing suitable vacancy;
• altering the employee’s hours of work;
• allowing the employee to be absent during working hours for rehabilitation, assessment or treatment connected to their disability;
• acquiring or modifying specialist equipment;
• providing supervision or other support.
So you could approach the employer and ask that they make adjustments to the premises, such as installing a stair lift or if it is possible allow you to work on ground floor levels or somewhere where access would be easier for you. Similarly, if they have access to parking at the front they should try and arrange for you to use one of these spaces, although I they do not actually own any of the front spaces that may not be possible.
So it is about discussing the options with the employer, reminding them of their legal obligations and coming to some sort of agreement over what adjustments are actually reasonable and possible in the circumstances.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you