How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49857
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Can you give some advice please. my contract was taken

Customer Question

Hello, can you give some advice please. my contract was taken over in June 2014. The new manager held two weeks wages, we now have new managers, but my last wage did not have the two weeks included. I have asked for all of my wage slips to be forwarded but nothing as yet. How do I go about getting my two weeks money?
Clare Smart
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have they said why the money was withheld?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

for Ben Jones

No he brushed it aside as though it was nothing. Looking at my bank statement my July payment was definitely not a months pay

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
This potentially amounts to an unlawful deduction from wages, which is made illegal under the Employment Rights Act 1996.
In order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.
If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:
1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made. To make the claim, form ET1 needs to be completed and submitted - you can find it here:
2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal. The claim can be made online by going to:
Hopefully by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for advice has that just cost me 38.00?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
I presume so as that appears to be the amount you have agreed to pay for submitting your question. Is that ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I could have got that for free elsewhere. I am no further forward. He is denying owing the two weeks and baffling me with science as he nos I am not a confrontational person. I just want what is owed to me.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Ok but dot you understand that if the employer does not wish to pay you what you are owed you have no other options but to follow what I have said in my earlier advice. Not sure what you were expecting from us, we advice you of your legal rights we can't get the money for you ...