How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My friend offered to sell my car on his friends car site,

This answer was rated:

My friend offered to sell my car on his friends car site, which he did but he never gave me the money for my car and it's has dragged on since March. Do I have a case for breaking a verbal agreement ? I have plenty of messages from him that never denied he owes me the money he just won't give me the money. My car now apparently has two legal owners. It's a real mess and I'm at my wits end. Pease can you help ?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How long has he had the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since 26th March this year
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The police informed he sold the car onto a dealership in Bradford
Do you know when he sold it?
Are you still the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They told me he sold it in April and that basically the car now has two registered owners. The police suggested as it's a civil matter that I take it to a civil court and try to fight for the car but that I might not legally get to keep the car. I really just would the money owed to me for the car.
Yes, well, the police are too busy investigating reports against dead people made by compensation hunters to deal with any proper crime in the UK.
I can see why they say it is a civil matter but so is quite a lot of other stuff that they regularly get involved in.
Did they give you any idea of how much he got?
Did he quote you a price?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see.
No I have no idea how much he sold it on for.
He said that I would receive £8,000 for the car which is the price I agreed to take for the car.
In that case, it would be much better to sue for the money than the return of the car.
You can seek the return of the car but that would require an injunction which is more expensive than a money claim and also if it has been sold then he can't do it so it is pointless.
This is a small claims court sum and so it would be cheap and quick to sue.
If he quoted you £8k then I would sue for that sum. He might not have received it but he can offer that defence. You can issue here
but send him a letter before action warning him that you will sue within 14 days if he does not pay. Sometimes that works, sometimes not but it is worth trying.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please Jo. I have a problem in that this guy moves around a lot and I don't have his latest address. I know he uses a solicitor and where that solicitor is but I doubt that is any help is it ? This concerns me.
I presume you have his business address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he just advertises on Gum Tree
Do you have his last known address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do but he was basically renting a place and paying cash to the owner so I doubt they have any details for him that were genuine
No, but you can issue to his last known address.
The other alternative is to use a tracing agent to locate him. That isn't very expensive but it cannot be recovered from him and you do face the risk he will move again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you Jo you've been a great help !
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you