How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35077
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Iv been in my house year , Iv got a new partner

This answer was rated:

Hi Iv been in my house for ten year , Iv got a new partner and we both on the mortgage he been on it for four years , he dose not pay any of the mortgage, is there any way if we got married that he could not take half the house ?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgageAre you planning to get married?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The house is worth £2500' outstanding is £13500,yes getting married
have you discussed how the house will be shared between you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about when the property was transferred into joint names - was it discussed then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you got your help . I think we just get a will ,
Since he is a joint owner of the property it is likely that you both own the property in such a way that it will automatically passto the survivor on the death of the first to die - outside f any provision made in a Will.This can be changed so that you each own a specific share which can be dealt with within a WillHowever of your Will doe snot make suitable provision for your husband then he will be able to make an applictaion to the court fora larger share of the Estate if he so wishesI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you