How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My wage is gone up since April 2012 £62.00/week but I didn't

This answer was rated:

my wage is gone up since April 2012 £62.00/week but I didn't inform housing benefit about it because I did inform Inland Ravenue about it because I am getting Family Tax Credit (working tax credit) and I thought that will be enough they will know automaticlly from my National Insurance No. but it looks like they have no idea and now they stop my housing benefit and they start asking me when did your sircumctances change and I am a fraid I am in trouble.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Why didnt you tell HMRC about the change in wage? Did you not tell them when it came to renew the credits?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I did inform HMRC from the date my wage change

Ok, but not Housing Benefit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, thought HMRC is control everything.

I see. How much is the Council saying you have been overpaid by?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually they haven't answered me yet but I am a fraid they will,so I would like to have or prepare for it.

As a solicitor do you think I have done something wrong or do you think they will take it as a serious matter eventhough I did not hid anything from HMRC

Its bad news I am afraid, HMRC and separate to Council Tax and have nothing to do with each other. Further when you sign your Housing Benefit application it states you must tell THEM of any change. So sadly it looks like you have an overpayment of benefit.
It depends how much you have been overpaid as to what they will do. Usually if its below £2,500 or so they will just caution you. Anything over then you do face going to Court. At this stage you dont need a Solicitor but if you go to Court you should.
Sadly even though you told HMRC the onus is on you to tell Council Benefit as well. I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well it is a bad news of course but are you sure there is no comunication between them?if not then how housing benefit knows I am getting working tax credit?

They do not notify each other of a change - no. I used to work for a Local Authority.
However they can cross check to see if you are getting tax credit / housing benefit. But they dont notify each other of a change in circumstance. Sadly that is your responsibility,.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok,let's take the worse thing will happen and they take me to the court what is the worse sentence I will get?don't forget I am only £62.00/week taking more than before.

Anything under £15,000 will usually be a Community order.
Under £2,500 will be a caution.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry what do you mean by Community order?

Probation. For example unpaid work, supervision, activity requirement etc.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.