How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My boyfriend and I have been cohabiting last 8 years

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend and I have been cohabiting for the last 8 years and we share the household expenses. He has an adult son from a previous relationship. However my boyfriend's name does not appear on his son's birth certificate. He also has a sister. As he has not made a Will would his son and his sister automatically inherit my boyfriend's estate (which includes the house in which we live) as next of kin? Neither his son nor his sister live in the UK. What would be my position?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I presume you jointly own the house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the house is owned by him and is only in his name.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you receive my reply, Clare?
My apologies for the delayYou are right to be concerned.In the event that your partner dies intestate then his estate will pass to his son (assuming he is his son) - or his sister if DNA shows thatthe young man is not biological your partner'sHowever you will be able to make a claim against the estate as you have been dependant on him for accommodation for so long.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Without a Will in place, what could I expect the two beneficiaries to allow me? Could they kick me out of the house? Could they insist that I sell the house and move? You have been very vague about my position.
It is impossible to gather sufficient detailed information in a forum such as this to give a clear idea of what you might expect.This could be anything from the right to remain in the property for a number of years; to your receiving a share of the propertyand being able to stay there until you die; or to a sale being ordered and you receiving a lump sum from the sale proceedsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, the best thing to do is to write a Will so that his wishes are clear and setting out his wishes for his son and/or sister?
Exactly so
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you