How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33524
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

Good Afternoon,I am 83 and own my own property.Until recently

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
I am 83 and own my own property.
Until recently I am aware that should I need long term care the government would sell my house and use that momey to pay for my care.
I am lead to believe that this situation may have been changed by the present government to a kinder system
Could you advise as to the actual siuation at present and any rules and/or conditions
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
There are changes to the rules although many of them do not sadly come into force until 2020. Basically it relates to the Care Act 2014. You will see that from your perspective para 5 below came into affect in April 2015. I have set out below the significant changes which have come in and those which are now coming in in 2020. Please remember to rate positive.Ways it may affect you from April 2015:You will have a right to a free needs assessment from your council, even if it thinks your finances are too high or your needs are too low to qualify for help.All councils will use a new national eligibility criteria to decide whether someone can get help from them.If you get social care support, you will now have a right to request a personal budget if you’re not offered one. This is a summary of how much the council thinks your care should cost. This might be useful if you want to pay for your own care. If your needs assessment shows you don’t qualify for help from the council, they must advise you how the care system works and how to pay for your own care. So if you just need a hand with housework, for example, the council should assist you in finding this.You can defer selling your home to pay your care fees until after your death.If you’re paying for your own care, you can ask the council to arrange your services for you. It can only charge you as much as someone whose care they are funding.If you’re a carer, you have a legal right to a care assessment from the local council. You can also get support services if you qualify for them.If you find it difficult to communicate or to understand the issues being discussed, the council must provide an advocate to help you when discussing your care. They will represent your interests if you don’t have a friend or relative who can help.The council must provide preventative services that could reduce or delay your need for care. For example, intermediate care at home after a hospital stay could help keep you independent for longer.Ways it may affect you from April 2020:There will be a cap on how much you have to spend on your care needs. Anything you or the council spend on your eligible needs will be added up in your care account. Once it reaches £72,000, the council will pay for all your eligible needs. This will exclude your daily living costs, which covers things like your food and accommodation in a care home. The proposed figure of £72,000 for the cap could change by 2020 due to inflation.The council can reassess your care needs, even if you pay for your own care. This is because the council works out how much your care should cost to meet your eligible needs, and adds this up. It needs to check every so often that the amount it thinks you should be spending is still right.New rules about top-up fees in care homes mean you may be able to pay them yourself. Top-up fees may apply if you move into a care home that costs more than the council can pay.If you’re not happy about a decision, you have a new right to complain and appeal it, and for this to be independently investigated.I hope that this helps - Please remember to rate positive.