How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

One of my neighbours has been trying to run a used car business

This answer was rated:

one of my neighbours has been trying to run a used car business form his home which is opposite my house. for about 18mths he has had up to six cars parked either on his drive way or outside various houses in our road. It appears he has not sol any of them over this period. I spoke to him about a year ago and he said he was breaking no laws and he needed to make a living. He also maintained that he insured and taxed the cars as a trader but one of the cars was marketed as a private sale. I left it at that because he said he was going to move. However a year later he is still here and today he has transit camper van outside his house. Is there anything i can do?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

I want to know the legal position with regard to him having up to six cars parked in a small cup de sac. he claims to be a used car salesman but he has the same cars he had over a year ago, despite them registered for tax and insurance purposes under sole trader basis. If they are personal cars shouldn't he have to have normal road tax and insurance?

Have you complained to the council ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I rang the council a year ago but they were very vague. From memory they said he wasn't breaking any laws if he had legitimate road tax and didn't block anyone's drive. However they were vague about his requirements for running a used car business from his house. I spoke with friend who worked for trading standards who said my neighbour should not advertise cars for private sale and yet pay sole trader rates for tax and insurance but for him to investigate he would need a petition

Ok you can sue for loss and damage
You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you