How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been on to my bank Lloyds, regarding the potential

This answer was rated:

I have been on to my bank Lloyds, regarding the potential refund of Account Fees paid for services ie insurances, AA cover etc. I understood that these charges were deemed to be illegal and should be refunded. My bank tells me that they cannot refund the amounts which are considerable as there is no evidence that the various accounts (e.g Gold and Platinum) were miss sold. Obviously my recollection of the original transaction in 2000 is vague but I do know that subsequent upgrades to the accounts were automatic along with the increased charges. We accepted that the upgrades were supposedly to our benefit. During the the time we had the potential benefits we did not take advantage of any of the separate covers except, though I am not sure as they mentioned the AA, but I cannot remember when. Could you along with your recommendation please let me have a copy of the legislation covering this particular situation. Thank you Duncan xxxxx email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
When were the payments made to this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Alex

The payments were made between 2000 and 2010 to two accounts One in joint names and one in my name. I think that the bank is somewhat liable in that we were not given the option of declining not that we would as according to what I understand the refund depends on usage of cover, that if the services were not used then a refund could be applied for.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you due to make a reply


You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Do you think I have a good chance of winning?
Also where can I get the legislation with regard to refunds as stated by the Government.

Yes I think you have a chance. It's a matter of negligence / contract for miselling.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.