How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My husband if renting out a property in London, the travel

This answer was rated:

My husband if renting out a property in London, the travel company who were renting it haven't paid any rent for over 2 months. Despite correspondence from his letting agent we didn't hear a word. It appears after some investigation they are subletting to another agent who is subletting to short lets. He has no idea what is going on or who these people are his property has affectively been hijacked. While it was empty he changed the locks and stayed over. Some men appeared and said they had paid a chap to use the property, but hasn't paid us. Now someone has changed the locks again the police were called and they were told to change them back. As yet we don't know what to do. Short let's of this nature are illegal in Westminster. Any ideas? Many thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
When did they rent it and what type of agreement do they have please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Originally a commercial let. But no agreement with these subletting agents.
Are they breaching any term?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are in that they haven't paid any rent for two months, they were also to inform us as to who was resident in the property. They moved in on September 4th 2014 so there is a break clause period for a year.
Does the agreement say what happens if there is a breach?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We don't know as he is waiting for a copy from his agents.
Ok, I need to know That please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says on the contract the following; I quote,
"Not to sub let take on lodgers or paying guest without the landlord or his agents prior consent". There is also,
"For the landlord to commence legal proceedings to repossess the premises based on the breech of the tenancy which might result in the court evicting the tenant". They are not complying with a) and b) and d)
a) is not paying rent, b) subletting without consent d) company becoming insolvent.
Many thanks
Ok - then you can issue a notice that there has been a default and you want to end the tenancy. If the Tenant refuses then you can issue proceedings. You would need to complete form N5:
The court would list the matter for hearing and decide whether to give possession.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.