How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have a neighbour who closes a door deliberately to wake me

This answer was rated:

I have a neighbour who closes a door deliberately to wake me up at 03.15am every night. It is not slammed but loud enough to wake me up.
She will not talk to me.
Any solutions?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How does she know that you have complained and are compiling a log?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The local authority sent her a letter

The first step would have been to try and resolve this personally with her, although you have already tried that and she is ignoring your correspondence. If a personal approach does not work then you may consider involving the authorities, which you have also tried. They have sent her a letter but this gives her a warning that she is being investigated and she can adjust her behaviour so that it does not disturb you for a period. What should ideally happen is that the noise levels are monitored or recorded without her knowing about it. Whether the Council will go to such lengths when this is a single source of noise once a night is questionable so you may have to do that yourself by getting some recording equipment and leaving it on to show that what you say is actually happening. You could then use that as evidence to complain to the Council again and show that what you claim is true.
In the meantime you should consider taking steps to minimise the nuisance, such as wearing ear plugs. I understand it is not an ideal situation but this is mainly about trying to show that you what you claim is happening and doing so in a way which would not warn her in advance so that she can adjust her actions to try and hide what is actually happening.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you