How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
This answer was rated:

I've just bought a pug and only been given half her documents

Hi I've just bought a... Show More
Hi I've just bought a pug and only been given half her documents , she's registered with kennel club but can't change ownership without the other half , seller won't give . Where do I go from here ?
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You mean you cannot change ownership at the KC?
Legal ownership has changed.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Yes as my seller has only gave me the first half of the documents and not her half I'm unable to clarify that she is myn threw kennel club without these I cannot bread here as kc ! She was an expensive dog , I don't know what else to do ?
Was she sold with a restriction? A lot of breeders do as they seek to prevent breeding sometimes to prevent over population and often to prevent competition.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
No she is not a pup she is the same age as my peek , it's down to the seller and she now won't respond to me ! Have drove back to her house also and she won't communicate
Well, they can put restrictions upon adult dogs as well. Dogs are ultimately property in law however much they mean to us.
That said, if they didn't sell with a restriction then they cannot universally add one.
This is basically a breach of contract point. Your options are two fold. The first is to sue for the sum that you paid but that isn't likely to achieve what you want. The second is to seek an injunction forcing her to hand over the documents. This is essentially failing to deliver up the product properly. Like selling a car and delivering the car but failing to transfer the V5 or hand over the keys.
I would send her a letter before action though before you start suing. It is much cheaper and it often works.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
The address she gave to the kennel club wasn't the same as where I picked up my dog , I wanted her to have a litter but now the puppies can't be registered as full kc pups unless I get this sorted , thank you so much for your help x
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Why do you think she would keep the other half of papers after selling a 2.5 year old pug ? I've offered to pay the fee and it seems she can't be bothered and has vanished ! It's made me sick that I've paid over 800 for a dog that I can't breed as kc registered ! I will stick with you in the future , thanks so much . Carlie x
Probably to restrict breeding.
Or maybe just laziness.
Or I suppose the dog you have purchased isn't kennel club registered.
Impossible to say really.