How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

We wish to attend the trial of our son whose children are in

This answer was rated:

We wish to attend the trial of our son whose children are in the care of social services, to put closure on a very difficult case for us. We've not been allowed to see our grandchildren for three years even though we were the ones to report the abuse.
We know he and his wife have already been to three hearings but can find nothing out about why or what is happening. Is there anyway we can find out about these independently please. Social services keep telling us nothing is happening yet.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you referring to a Criminal Trial?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I presume so as its child abuse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The police have been involved and carrying out investigations, so I presume it is a criminal case.
Social services say we must go to our son himself or his legal team. We can do neither.
When were the children taken into Care - and where are they now?
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are with three different families in Kent and have been there for about six years during which time we've only seen the once. We agreed to stop access so as not to disturb the children too much although we are beginning to feel we are being squeezed out of there lives in favour of foster parents. We send birthday and Christmas gifts and cards but have no idea that they even receive these. Originally we had to send them to the social worker but then found out they were not receiving them for weeks sometimes.
I am sorry - the site encourages you to accept much too soonHow old are the children now - and please confirm - they have been in care for 6 YEARS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Clare for coming back to me. We believe they must have been in care for six years but as time goes on its difficult to be certain. The eldest is no longer a child but 18, 16, 14, 12, 8, and 5.
Have you heard from the eldest at all?What makes you think there is going to be a trial?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We used to hear from the eldest until last year and his mother but suddenly he stopped contacting us . We know there will be a trial as social services have told us this much. However as I explained, they think us being there would be bad for the children.
If we gave you the case number ***** name of the court would it be possible to find out any more information for us?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are only in contact with the social worker for the three younger children and she did recently give I
Us the name of the other three social workers but as yet we have not contacted them. The foster mother of the young ones used to talk to me but social services told her not to talk to me anymore and vice versa. It's so sad as she was lovely and used to send us photos of the children. No we have nothing. Atleast then we knew what was going on but now we feel totally cut off. We have lost track of the number of social workers they have had. Since the original one left we have to drag every bit of information we can from her successors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are wondering whether they are having individual court hearings!
I am having some difficulty in understanding the timings involved.If the children were taken into care six YEARS ago then the final hearings would also have occured years ago.If you have a Court number that would help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It may only be five years, but I don't think it's any less. It's so long that it's difficult to remember exactly. It's definitely more than three. We were told it would come to court last September but every time we ask were told the police are still carrying out more investigations.
The court number is ***** and its Woolwich Crown court. The archives show 22.7.15, 7.9.15 and 21.9.15 but we don't know what happened then. Thanks so much Clare.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Clare, I realise now that the youngest child was 2 and he is now nearly six which would make it just under four years.
Thank you for the case numberThis is indeed a Criminal Trial, and from my limited knowledge I suspect that your son pleaded Guilty but his (ex?) partner is going not guilty and the case is ongoing and will be listed for trialYou can check this by phoning the Court on Monday and asking if the case has been concludedThe Care proceedings have long since been completed and the placements the children are in are likely to be permanent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Clare I have found out much that I needed to know from the CPS at the court. I'm very grateful to you

You are welcome - I cannot imagine how bad this has been for you