How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live in a shared ownership building through L&Q and

This answer was rated:

I live in a shared ownership building through L&Q and own 25% in Greenwich London moved in August 2011 new build with Durkan . I live with my daughter.
A few weeks ago due to heavy rain ingress started to appear on my kitchen ceiling which i reported to the company as I’m the top floor it is coming from the roof. The roof belongs to the builders and will be covered by their guarantee.
Three weeks on and a lot of contractors coming in and out of my kitchen creating more problems and making a massive hole in the ceiling to ascertain where the water is coming from, i have a constant stream of water leaking into several buckets which have to be emptied every 5 hrs.
I am also 1 year in remission from Breast cancer and I feel helpless as all I hear from the companies involved is that I’m top priority though I have seen little evidence of anybody on the roof and nor has any official seen the state of my kitchen and my current living conditions. It’s not easy to prepare meals and the stench is unimaginable.
I’m at my wits end and need to push them into positive action with immediate effect and take responsibility as it’s entirely out of my hands.
Your advice will be much appreciated
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this Tracy
Have you had a surveyor in yet please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Alex

No not yet!


Ok, I would get someone in to see what the issue is. They can do a report, see what the problem is and suggest a solution. You can get quotes for doing that work.
You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work or give you the money to get it done within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually that's not the issue for me to pay for the work as the company who built the buildings have this covered. I'm upset that from the moment i initially reported the problem that started 3 weeks ago is still ongoing and my living situation is very stressful with no clear resolution. Am i entitled to any compensation for inconvenience caused. Stress and health?

Yes indeed, but it would only be a nominal amount, say a few hundred £.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So how do I go about getting comp. Are you saying that it would not be worth the bother?

Compensation is the process as above. I would claim but it won't be a lot, a few hundred pounds.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.