How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I rent 24/7 storage. The premises has a roller shutter door

This answer was rated:

I rent 24/7 storage. The premises has a roller shutter door that opens with a access fob.
I opened the door and reversed up to unload. The door then came down a few minutes later without warning and badly scratched the back of my vehicle.
Another tenant then pointed out that sensors only stop the door coming down if you are parked right in the doorway. I then see signs stating that the owners accept no responsibility for vehicles that reverse in. I was not aware of this and thought you had to close the door again with the access fob.
Do they have a responsibility for the damage?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you ever ask how to operate the door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was shown how to open and close with the fob

How much is the damage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not had estimate but £200ish

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.