How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I am taking Transport into the small claims court

This answer was rated:

I am taking Transport for London into the small claims court for negligent mis-statement.
On an application for a private hire license. They asked me for further advice on a medical matter which incurred me spending a further £500 in doctors fees.
They already had the required information in the original medical form with the original application and £250 in payment application. Hence i am sueing them for the £500 because of their negligent advice in asking me for further information.
Therefore can the application form be classed as a contract. Because i have to show they owed me a duty of care.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
This is not a contract claim that you have against the local authority but one of NEGLIGENCE. In order to prove liability in negligence you must show, on the balance of probabilities, that: the local authority owed a duty of care, breached that duty by failing to meet the standard of care required and as a result you suffered loss or damage which is not too remote. An application for a licence does not result in the formation of a legally binding contract because there is no agreement to provide you with a licence simply be paying a fee (e.g. the elements of offer and acceptance are absent). So your claim is on the basis of negligence as the local authority does have a duty to process applications properly and the failure to do so is likely to amount to negligence.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you