How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3839
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I need a "legal opinion" to qualify me to become a money man

This answer was rated:

i need a "legal opinion" to qualify me to become a money manager and open a trading account where i can trade other peoples money
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. In order to do what you have proposed you need to comply with the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. What you are proposing is potentially carrying out a regulated activity. In order to carry out a regulated activity you need to have authorization. The FCA is responsible for such authorisation - . Do you have any specific questions on this? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi yes, my broker requests one of two thing:

  • Financial services license or legal opinion in the operating jurisdiction

In your opinion, which one of these is easier to obtain, and how would I go about getting one?

Hi, Thank you. If you are operating in the UK Jurisdiction then the only option is to obtain FCA Authorisation (i.e a license) - this costs about £1500 and can take up to 6 months. In the meantime there are companies and service providers that will charges fees in order provide you with the authorisation while you are waiting for your own. Can you tell me anything about the services you are providing, your client base (i.e consumer, business etc) and what you are investing in? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK that makes sense. I am a currency trader, trading the forex market online. I have been trading for over 5 years. I already have people copying my trades through, however I want to open a money manager account through my broker so then I can take on new clients with larger amounts to invest, as a result of any profit I make my clients I will take 30% of any new profit made and the investors keep 70%. This is the reason I need the licence but up until now I haven't needed one.

Thank you. The main issue that means you need regulation is the fact that you are taking deposits of other peoples money. This is the element that really means you need authorisation. As you have experience in the industry in all likelihood you should not have too many problems obtaining a authorisation. Can I assist you any further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I think I have enough to be going on with for now. I will pursue the FCA authorization process and see how it goes. Thanks very much

Thank you. If you have any follow questions please do not hesitate to contact me? Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you