How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good morning, We moved into a new house on a small rural

Customer Question

Good morning,
We moved into a new house on a small rural development about eighteen months ago where there is no gas so the only form of heating is a new type of electric heating which I was told by the developer before we moved in that it was a very efficient system. Everyone on our development have been waiting many months for Cala Homes to get back to us which they now have and basically told us that if we want a more economical system their are some on the market and we should look into the possibility of purchasing one.
Cala Homes have developed a similar sight to ours a short distance away with the same heating system as ours but as I understand it after the numerous complaints from our site regarding the excessive cost halfway through the development they decided to change the system.
The question which I would appreciate your advice on is the Energy Performance Certificate which we received on completion of our purchase legally binding as our electricity bill is approximately three times more than the E.P.C. stated ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you
Are you saying the certificate is fraudulent please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I am not saying that the certificate is fraudulent just very mis-leading regarding electricity costs, which as I stated in my email to you are far in excess to what the E.P.C. had stated. What is my concern is that we were mis-lead by the developer (CALA HOMES) that this was a very affordable system and the certificate that we were given appeared to back that up it was not until we received our first electricity bills that this was far from the truth.

Thank you.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Would a different provider given a different certificate reading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it isn't the provider that issues the certificate. It has to be an independent company that issue them to every purchaser of of any house in the U.K.
May I politely ask you if you are familure with U.K. Conveyancing.
Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
I am a Uk Solicitor yes and aware of the energy performance requirement. I assume the home was assessed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the house was assessed by an independent surveyer but as you are aware you can not move into any house in the U.K. Without a certificate being issued.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Indeed. So someone messed up on the rating, is that fair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it appears so,but what I am asking you is the Energy Performance Certificate a legally binding document which I can make a claim with against the developer as the figures relating to my actual costs bear no resemblance to the amounts showen on the certificate.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
No, not against the developer. it would be against the company that issued the certificate. They could have been negligent, but its not the developers fault - they are reliant on what is provided by someone external.

So developer no, firm that issued the certificate - yes.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.