How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1442
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Common law wife. shere do I stand on separating leagaly

This answer was rated:

common law wife.
shere do I stand on separating leagaly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my commone law partner is alcolholic.
I am disabled.
where do I stand on keeping my home
council tenant.
where do I stand on her bills.
Welcome to Just Answer.
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist.
- please confirm:
- you have not legally married?
- is the tenancy in joint names?
- has your partner acted aggressively towards you? If so - please describe - and when was the last incident?
- what debts does she have? Are there any joint debts?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
joint tenancy.
not legally married.
just mentally aggressive.
no joint depts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ps. my name is colin.
Hello Colin
Thank you for confirming that for me.
I am sorry to hear about your current position.
As the tenancy is in joint names - then you are both legally allowed to live there. If you partner becomes drunk and aggressive then you should contact the police and report her. If the police think that there might be a breach of the peace then they may ask her to leave - this will usually only be overnight. If, however, there was an offence committed then the police might put bail conditions in place which prevent your partner returning whilst the matter is investigated.
In the long term you need to speak with housing about taking the tenancy on your own. If your partner won't agree and things become untenable then you could consider applying for an occupation order from a family court. Form FL401. There is no court fee. This type of order would exclude your partner for 6 - 12 months. These orders are not easy to obtain as the courts do not like making people homeless however if the situation continues then you could try.
In relation to any debts of your partners - if they are your partners sole debts then you are not responsible for them.
As your partner is acting aggressively towards you then you may be able to get legal aid and a solicitor to help you. Legal aid is now only available if you can get domestic abuse evidence. Domestic abuse is widely defined by the legal aid and includes emotional and financial abuse as well as physical. See the link below and in particular the GP letter. Explain to your GP what is going on. If your GP is satisfied that you are suffering with a condition such as stress as a result of your partners behaviour and he completes the letter then take it to a legal aid solicitor so they can assess your financial means.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you