How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I recently found that my son has been lured into drugs by his

Customer Question

I recently found that my son has been lured into drugs by his close friend. We, as parents, are trying to separate them but my son won't listen to us. His friend has made him spend all his part-time earning on drugs when he has no income but wants drugs very much himself. My son is a very kind and warm-hearted boy and is very loyal to his friends. His friend is older than him and takes advantage of him! If I report him to police, will my son be in trouble as well? What shall I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Before doing so I need to know how old your son is. What drugs are we dealing with here? Cannabis or worse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son is 17 and his friend is 18. As I know, they are using cannabis. But his friend is using very often, not sure if it is every day. He is allowed to have a year study break and doing nothing by his parents. He has lots of free time but no friends but my son. He is calling my son all the time even on his lessons! He is a huge disturbance in any way. What shall we do to stop this please?

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
OK. This is not easy. I am not sure there is a legal solution here. If you think your son is taking drugs with this boy and you know when and where then you could call the police, but if this happens your son would very likely get into trouble too. If he was in possession of or taking drugs when they arrived he would be arrested for possession of cannabis and if he is the one with the part time job who buys the drugs and then shares them he is technically guilty of supplying drugs, a far more serious offence.
I don't think there is a satisfactory legal remedy, it is not harassment if your son wants him to contact him, and there are risks with involving the police for your son.
Perhaps the best thing is to persist with his parents and to encourage the school to enforce a no phones on in lessons rule.
I know this is not a very helpful answer but I don't think the law provides you with a remedy here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I know it is very tricky as it is something involved with drugs. I am not 100% sure how do they buy drugs. I didn't believe that my son was really using it till I got a text on his phone from his friend (I take his phone away from him when he is studying or sleeping) -" Do you wanna go halves on a draw? Back about 5:40". We set my son's home time is 5:30pm. So it looked that it was more likely they were sharing. He got free money from his parents! Not sure how much a month though? My question is if I can go to police and say that he is a drug user and is calling my son all the time if my son has stopped using drugs? Will police do anything to help? Will my son be in trouble if he only used to be a drug user? Thank you!

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
If he only used to be a drug user and avoids admitting a specific example of drug use he should be OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So will police do anything to help us then if I report his friend to police? What if his friend tells police he was a drug user as well at police station?

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
The police may or may not act on what you tell them. If this boy makes allegations against your son, your son may well be arrested. If you involve the police you will have no control over what they do.