How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now


Customer Question

I am considering buying a flat in a grade II listed building. It is 1 of 4 self contained flats converted in 1980. There is a mix of owner / tenanted flats. My understanding is that if the 1991 building regs are not met then if the ratio of tenanted flats exceeds 1/3 the whole building becomes an (unlicensed) HMO. The vendor says its not a licensed HMO and doesnt need to be. What are the consequences of being an unlicensed s257 HMO ? i.e. what legislation / in practice would I need to comply with to meet the HMO requirements - is it the 1991 regs and/or something else as well ?

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The flat is in central Bristol and potentially subject to the local authority planning regimes re: HMO's there - if that helps.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I have now found my answer - thanks for looking.