How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had a peer to peer loan last year consolidation.

This answer was rated:

I had a peer to peer loan last year for debt consolidation. I managed to maintain 7 full payments a part payment and then no payments. I wrote to the company with an inventory of my creditors, including amounts and a proposal to pay a reduced amount. They refused this proposal, in spite of this I made a payment but they returned it to me.
I have now received a court claim from them. I did not sign a credit agreement. Is there any advice for me please?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Was it signed online?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Yes, I believe it was

Ok. Then in that case it is legally binding. You do not need an actual signature. So even if it was not signed, you accepted the money and repaid some of it.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Thank you, ***** ***** that would be the case. Obviously I want to avoid judgement but can't pay the loan in full. I have already offered what I can afford with a breakdown of my income and expenditure. This was refused by the company. I have no assets due to a previous divorce and I have a car on HP.

Would the court enter a judgement? What could I do to avoid this?

Ironically the money used for this loan was to settle my solicitor cost and court fees from the divorceFrown

The Court is likely to enter Judgment yes, I am sorry. All you can do is ask C to agree to an order which does not involved Judgment.
I am sorry.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.