How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33540
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I have a mental health condition which, although I'm

This answer was rated:

I have a mental health condition which, although I'm on medication, does not affect my ability to live with stability and be a full time mum.
My partner is going through divorce. His wife's solicitor has written to him stating that she says I'm bipolar (I'm definitely not) and does not want me left unsupervised around her two children. Since this claim has not come from me or her husband, nor has she had any access to my medical records, I know this has come from a misinformed third party. It is causing great distress to me as I don't know who her source is, how many people she has told (she will have told more than one person), if people will want me around their kids or how people will react to me.
As I say, I'm a full time mum, I was a nurse up till 3 years ago (adult and paediatric) and volunteered at a local primary school 2 years ago. I'm reluctant to leave my home much as I feel anyone I know may judge me or talk about me.
Can I legally do anything about this? Is this slander and if so can I sue her?
Kind regards
The difficulty is that she has made this allegation within court proceedings and whilst it is clearly incorrect it is not something to which you would wish to issue court proceedings. Defamation (slander and libel) can cost in the region of tens of thousands of pounds. I would be minded simply to cross examine her on making these things up when the case goes to final hearing - putting it to her that she has just made these things up and that way she will look bad before the court. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
ivorylounge and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Do you mean when it goes to court in person? They are negotiating a financial agreement through mediation and decree nisi will be issued in two days time (1st October). Can she be challenged via a letter from my partners solicitor?
She certainly can be challenged by a letter from your partner's solicitor. But yes I meant when and if it goes to court for a final hearing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
What if it doesn't go to court? The decree absolute could be issued if the financial agreement is approved without persons being present I'm assuming?
Thats correct and thats why you can get his solicitor to write to her and challenge her on this piece of her statement. I would not be considering defamation for this type of thing as a result of the costs being so high.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help,
Kind regards.

my pleasure