How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33384
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I have had no contact. Communications with my husband

This answer was rated:

I have had no contact. Communications with my husband for 24 years can I get separation or annulment
Well you would be entitled to get a divorce on this basis. It is not really a case of an annulment. You must show there are good reasons for ending your marriage. You can give 5 grounds for a divorce.AdulteryYour husband or wife had sex with someone else of the opposite sex, and you can no longer bear to live with them.You can’t give adultery as a reason if you lived with your husband or wife for 6 months after you found out about it.Unreasonable behaviourYour husband or wife behaved so badly that you can no longer bear to live with them.This could include:physical violenceverbal abuse, eg insults or threatsdrunkenness or drug-takingrefusing to pay for housekeepingDesertionYour husband or wife has left you:without your agreementwithout a good reasonto end your relationshipfor more than 2 years in the past 2.5 yearsYou can still claim desertion if you have lived together for up to a total of 6 months in this period.You have lived apart for more than 2 yearsYou can get a divorce if you’ve lived apart for more than 2 years and both agree to the divorce.Your husband or wife must agree in writing.You have lived apart for more than 5 yearsLiving apart for more than 5 years is usually enough to get a divorce, even if your husband or wife disagrees with the divorce.Please rate positive
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I need to do what now

Well If you want to get a divorce then you need to fill in a divorce petition form -

to start a divorce.

You must include your:

  • full name and address
  • husband or wife’s full name and address
  • marriage certificate - the original certificate or a copy from the registry office

Include the names and dates of birth of any children (no matter how old they are).

You will have to pay a £410 court fee to start a divorce.

You may be able to get help with court fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.

Send the forms

Once you have filled in the forms:

  • send 2 copies of the divorce petition form to the court (3 if you named someone your husband or wife had an affair with)
  • keep your own copies
  • to the local court