How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6430
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

We bought a new marine engine boat. it cost £6333.00.

This answer was rated:

We bought a new marine engine for our boat. it cost £6333.00. after paying for its fitting the boat was launched and within 5 minutes the engine failed and caused the boat to leak. an engineer has said the engine is defective. The suppliers agreed to refund the money and subsequently picked the engine up. they have my old engine which was taken in part exchange. They have not given the refund.
We have also incurred added costs of around £4000.00.
i would be grateful for your advice.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Has the supplier accepted responsibility for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes.. he agreed to take the defective engine back and has done so

so is the issue over the refund of the value of the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are three issues

1) he has not paid the refund £6333.0

2) he has not paid for or returned our old engine for which he agreed to pay£650.00

3) we have incurred costs of £4000 in the fitting and removal, of the defective engine and accommodation and flights as a direct result of being unable to use the boat

Where is the supplier based?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The supplier is Westend Marine Batley Yorkshire. I should add that since I bought the engine I have discovered on line that he has " form" (as Arthur Daley would put it ) in this regard.

Oh that's a shame,
You need to write, preferably by recorded delivery, to the supplier to state that you have rights Under the Sale of Goods Act and ask for your money to be refunded and your original engine to be returned to you or to be compensated for loss of the original engine plus your out of pocket expenses. You should state that if you are not refunded the full amount you will claim.
You are able to claim the money back using the money claim on line service
I do hope he will see sense and refund you without further ado.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this?
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you