How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49868
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I was scammed out of £650 pounds online and now they

This answer was rated:

hey there i was scammed out of £650 pounds online and now they are refusing to pay it back and are sending me death and unpleasant messages!
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How exactly were you scammed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was buying two iPhone 6 plus mobile phones from the website (preloved) i spoke to a guy who offered me the two phone a gold and a silver one for a deal of £650 for the duo. i Paid and waited until nothing was received through the post. I have his number and his email and tried several times to contact him asking where the phones where, he told me they had been lost in the post and he was sorting it but to this day i still haven't received the phones or the money! This is now about 4 months ago that iv been trying to get my money back! He is aggressive, rude, and i don't feel safe in communicating with him.

How did you pay for these items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bank transfer i have screen shots of the whole thing!

The issue with bank transfers is that you get no fraud protection, so it is not the same as if you had paid with a credit card where the card company could try and claw back the payments. Sending a bank transfer is the same as sending cash in the post – once it is sent it cannot be retrieved through the banks.
If you want to pursue this money you either have to take the people to court (assuming you know who they are), but also be aware that winning at court does not guarantee payment – they could easily ignore it and take you on a wild goose chase whilst you try and enforce the court judgment.
The other option is to report this to the police or Action Fraud and let them deal with it. However, you are placing this entirely in their hands and if they cannot help any further then you cannot force them to.
I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you