How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33360
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

L am disabled.and stupidly married a Thai lady but only in

Customer Question

l am disabled.and stupidly married a Thai lady but only in Thailand and did not want the marriage recorded at the british embassy in Bangkok.l built and paid for this,extended it twice,bought land car shop for family.Although l had a contract on the lease on the house my wife has taken it from my flat in uk as well as other agreement for land.The lawyer who made the agreement has gone from where the office was.l have instructed lawyers in Thailand to file for divorce and have been trying to find who s names the property is in.l also found my Isizu truck is now in her mothers name.She now has a UK passport and has filed for divorce in the Uk having left me 2 years ago..The vows l took are in Thai and very different from the UK..l already paid thai lawyer in January 2015 and married in 2009.l also paid money to her family and for food education of 2 chldren, insurance on car and running expenses on all bills each month.She is now seeking further monies in Uk.l have a record of most of the money l sent.Where do l stand now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
On the basis that the wedding was legal in Thailand she is entitled to get a divorce in the UK. The starting point for the court will be that any assets would be shared on a 50-50 basis - that said it was a short-meduim length relationship and the court will consider both your needs and requirements. The fact that you are disabled will be something that the court can consider. I would not give her any more money, instruct a solicitor and get divorced. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
l think you have misunderstood the question, maybe my fault.The house land cars shop farm and household contents are all in Thailand.All l have here is a 1 bedroom flat.l have all the bank statements for moneys l invested in Thailand and the house and shop are occupied by her family.The legal contract to lease me the property there has been stolen from me by her.
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.

so what do you want to do now?