How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33528
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I am a British citizen. If I am a guardian to a 16 years old

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen. If I am a guardian to a 16 years old who is American citizen and I want her to live with me in Britain and go to a state 6th Form Vollege will she need a student visa or will she be entitled to free further education in Great Britain?
She would need to apply for a student visa. Student funding in the UK is all about which country is her ordinary place of residence before you go off to study. As a general rule, to get government funding she must:usually live in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotlandhave been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years before starting your course (temporary absences such as holidays, temporary jobs and work for the UK armed forces don’t detract from this)be living in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland on the first day of your first academic year.As well as this, you must be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay) – I would suggest as a starting point you speak to the Local Authority education department to discuss with them what they would be prepared to offer to her, because they will often make allowances depending on needs and circumstances. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you