How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been arrested on suspicion of downloading indecent images

This answer was rated:

I have been arrested on suspicion of downloading indecent images of children, and bailed pending an investigation. I admitted in the police interview of using file sharing software as a means of doing so, albeit with the sharing component turned off. There were several partial downloads on the system at the time the computer was seized, however there were no complete image files on the hard drive as I had previously deleted them (also admitted during interview). The partial downloads were, to the best of my memory, category B/C. (i.e. less serious end of scale). What is the outcome of the investigation likely to be? Do they take deleted files into consideration?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Can I just be clear about this? You have effectively admitted the offence in interview?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


That is a problem I'm afraid.
It is likely that at least some of these images will be recovered. They might not have done if you hadn't admitted it but you have and we can't turn back time.
Probably they will only charge you with any images that they can find as whatever you said in interview they cannot ascertain what level those images would have been.
I would imagine they will rely on the partial downloads and your confession.
Whether they will be able to recover the deleted files depends. It is to be hoped they do not.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you