How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50187
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have paid 75% of the agreed price doors and 7

This answer was rated:

I have paid 75% of the agreed price for sliding doors and 7 months later the job has not been finished. What is my next step?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why has the job not been finished yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Following paying the required deposit on23 Marvh 2015 I was told the installation would be in 6 weeks. 7 weeks later the sliding doors were installed, but were the wrong colour as previously requested on e-mail. I was told they could be resprayed on site. 4 weeks later following the respray the supplier acknowledged this had not worked. I was advised a new frame and doors with the correct colour would be installed. This was delayed for a further 10 weeks. The new frame was installed but the door fittings were not supplied. To date, some 8 weeks later the fittings have yet to be installed. The supplier appears only concerned with payment of the final balance of money and continues to delay the finishing of the job. We are now in the 28th week since the deposit was paid!
When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the law says that the work must be:· Carried out with reasonable care and skill – i.e. to a proper standard of workmanship;· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and· Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed). In addition, any materials provided as part of the work must:· Match their description· Be of satisfactory quality If there are problems with the standard of work, or the materials used, you will have certain rights. If work has already started, and there has been some breach of contract by the other side, you would usually be expected to give them the opportunity to rectify the problem. However, if you can justify why they should not be given such an opportunity, for example, if work has been left in a dangerous condition or their work is obviously below-par, you could refuse to do so. In terms of potential compensation, you may be entitled to that in the following circumstances:· The work was not carried out with reasonable care and skill, or finished within a reasonable time;· The tradesman has been negligent in their work;· You have accepted a repair, which turns out to be unsatisfactory;· The services are unsafe and someone has suffered injury· You have incurred additional expenses or suffered inconvenience because of the tradesman’s breach of contract. In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally accepted that you follow these steps: 1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. estimate, contract, correspondence, etc.).2. Contact the tradesman and explain your problem. Ask for a refund, a repair, or compensation and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7 days is reasonable).3. In the meantime find out if the tradesman is a member of a trade association with a mediation service that can help resolve your complaint. If they are not, you may wish to obtain an expert opinion from an independent tradesman specialising in this field to back up your position.4. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the tradesman repeating your complaint and how you would like them to fix this. Say you are giving them a final 7 day time limit to resolve the problem or you will ask another tradesman to carry out the work and you intend to recover their costs from them. Advise them that you will not hesitate to issue legal proceedings to seek compensation.5. If the tradesman makes an alternative offer, you can either accept or continue to negotiate. Be reasonable and realistic in what you will accept. You may not get an improved outcome by going to court.6. If the tradesman fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you can get a different tradesman to complete the work and consider suing the original tradesman for all or part of these extra costs. Remember that court is your last resort and you will need sufficient evidence to prove your claim. Nevertheless, it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position. 7. Finally, make sure that you send all correspondence by recorded delivery and keep copies. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. The issue you will have here is that any claim for personal injury would have t be brought in within 3 years of the date the injury was suffered. If this was something which only became obvious with time, then it would be from the point of diagnosis. If you have had operations as far back as 2000 then any diagnosis would have been made then and at best it is when the time limit would have started to run from. As you can see, you are way beyond the 3-year limit within which you must have submitted a claim so even if there is fault the part of the Army, you are legally out of time to make a claim. There is nothing stopping you from approaching them and stating your case, asking for compensation but if they refuse, then you are stuck as you cannot legally make a claim against them at this stage. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Sorry ignore the above, posted in error