How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My car has been parked on land which I own (adjacent to my

This answer was rated:

My car has been parked on land which I own (adjacent to my house and declared Sorn) for several years.
I went away on holiday in Oct 2014 and on my return found that the police had had the car seized and disposed of through a wrecking company. The police say they could not find any records of ownership. I complained but they found in their favour and advised me that this was a civil matter and I should seek compensation through in house legal service, which I did. The police legal service has sent a letter admitting the police made a mistake and sent a cheque equivalent to the wrecking fee.
What rights do I have to seek further compensation for this matter and how would I go about doing this. Any advice would be helpful to help me decide if/how to proceed.
What was the car worth?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I checked it anywhere from £800 to £1000 plus
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Car value from £800 to £1000 plus intrinsic value, loss of oppotunity to decide what I wanted to do with my car. I need the original question answering to decide what to do.
Were you charged the wrecking fee?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but I did not pay it and put a complaint to the polices bout their actions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Based on the info provided do I have case to seek further legal action
The offer of a cheque for the wreckage fee has no real value then as you didn't suffer that loss.
The issue is the value of the car.
If they accept destroying it with no proper basis then they are very definitely liable for the value of the car.
I would just go back to them and ask for the value of the car. You will need to estimate the value so you may need to gather prices from similar vehicles.
If they will not negotiate then you can always sue at the small claims court. You can do so here
It is very unlikely that this would be contested.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Jo the advice has been great, it's just that at the time of the incident I had just returned from holiday and was so upset about how or why the police had done this and not really having proper recourse/advice from the agencies I had contacted. But thanks I will follow up the advice given.
No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile