How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My mother in law is accusing me of murdering my husband who

This answer was rated:

My mother in law is accusing me of murdering my husband who died in August of phnewmonia the coroner tested the samples twice mother in law has sent samples to Csnada for retesting and she is going my previous employers trying to find people who will say bad things about me she wants to have my children removed from me and has reported me to social services who have confirmed my children are well cared for how can I stop this on going nightmare
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What are you hoping to do about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jo,
I am so sorry I didn't t reply before.
I was hoping to stop her from hounding me, every time I think it s quiet and she has stopped I find out that she has done something further to try to cause me trouble.
I need to let you know that it's not me but my daughter who is having these problems she is very distressed and does not know what to do
Has she made an allegation to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes , also to the coroner they are aware of her actions the coroner was not aware that when the samples were released for retesting they were being sent to Canada
You are in the UK?
What action did the police take?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The police have documented various things and given a crime no to some events they also said to contact them if she caused any problems at the funeral but she did not come to her son s funeral
Have they arrested you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they don t think I have done anything wrong
Does she have any money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what money she has but she does own her house and has a pension
Can you fund an action against her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don t have any money
That is a problem.
The police are not acting so there is nothing to be done there.
Social services do not seem interested either.
You do have a claim against her in defamation but that would be expensive to pursue.
If she is making repeated allegations then you do have a claim in harassment as well but there is still the issue of costs. That is much cheaper than defamation but there is still cost.
You could get a solicitor to write to her for about £100 plus VAT warning her of the laws of defamation. That is often all you need to do as people desist then.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you this has been helpful I will think about this for a moment probably having a letter written would be the best course of action to begin with
What would be an approximate likely cost in a harassment case
It depends if she contests it.
An amount in the low thousands probably which is a lot better than £25k plus for defamation.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you