How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10953
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am a danish national and lived in London 14 years ago and

This answer was rated:

I am a danish national and lived in London 14 years ago and married a girl from the US living in London, we lived in london for 8 years moved away and later got a divorce under commonwealth law however outside the UK. Do we need to file that divorce paper in London even if none of us have lived there for now more than 6 years
1. No, you don't need to file your divorce papers in London. Essentially, it is the law of the place where the divorce which took place which determines whether the divorce is valid or not. Once the divorce is lawful according to the place where it occurred, then it will be recognised in any country within the EU, such as Denmark or the UK, without any further act of recognition. So there is no need or manner in which you need to file this Commonwealth divorce in the UK. That is why the official in Bow County Court was clueless as to what was required. This just doesn't happen.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks a million for your reply. I wish you a great weekend. All the best. Ulrik